Careers related to computer science are routinely found on various "best jobs" lists because of their wonderful combination of excellent pay, satisfying work-life balance, and personal reward in seeing the great impact that computing can have throughout society. As a sample of such listings:
- 2018 U.S. News 100 Best Jobs list named Software Developer as #1 (as well as Information Security Analyst #32, IT Manager #42, Computer Systems Analyst #46, Computer Network Architect #49, Computer Systems Administrator #55, Database Administrator #69, Web Developer #76)
- 2018 Glassdoor's 50 Best Jobs in America lists Data Scientist #1, DevOps Engineer #2, Mobile Developer #8, Product Manager #9, Software Engineer #21, Database Administrator #26, UX Designer #27, Solutions Architect #30, Data Engineer #33, Systmes Analyst #39, UI Developer #45.
- Indeed.com's Best Jobs of 2018 includes Full Stack Developer at #2, Computer Vision Engineering #3, Machine Learning Engineer #4, Data Scientist #8, Development Operations Engineering #10, Agile Coach #11, Project Owner #21, and User Experience Researchers #23.
- 2017 CNNMoney/PayScale.com's top 100 Best Jobs in America named Mobile App Developer #1 (as well as Information Assurance Analyst #5, Database Analyst #9, Information Technology Director #13, Webmaster #14, Information Technology Operations Manager #22, Video Game Designer #33, Front End Developer/Engineer #47, IT Security Directory #50, Database Administrator #52, User Interface Designer #57, Programmer Analyst #64, Applications Engineer #70, Software Developer #80, User Experience Designer #99)
SLU's Career Services Center
A great resource for all SLU students and Alumni is the university's Career Services office. They offer a variety of services including one-on-one counseling, resume reviews, and mock interviews to get prepared to apply for internships and full-time employment upon graduation. They also organize two large on-campus career fairs each year (one in the Fall and one in the Spring), and host a variety of companies who do on-campus interviews to recruit SLU students.
Equally importantly, the Career Service office maintains an online listing of internship and full-time employment opportunities known as the Handshake system. Students can access that from the preceding link or by clicking on the Handshake tool once logged into the SLU student portal. Once logged in, it is also possible to do searches based upon desired majors that employers identify or geographic regions.
Student Opportunities Website
While Career Service's Handshake system is the primary resource for a wide list of opportunities, the CS department does occassionally get announcments or requests both about internship and employment opportunities, but also local events, hackathons, volunteer opportunities and so forth. For this reason, we maintain an internal Google site where we post opportunities that we hear about (you must log in with slu.edu credentials to access it). Once on that site, it is possible to register to receive automatic email notifications whenever a new post is made; click the settings cog icon and then under "Site Actions" click on "Subscribe to site changes".
Internships in St. Louis
With our location in the midtown area of St. Louis center, and more broadly in the Greater St. Louis area, our students have access to vibrant technology community, with operations for many Fortune 500 companies and a vibrant start-up community. This provides outstanding opportunities for summer internships, for part-time work during the academic year, and for future jobs after graduation.
Some of the big-name employers in St. Louis who show great interest in computer science students include Boeing, Centene, Citi, Deloitte, Enterprise, Express Scripts, KPMG, Maritz, MasterCard, Microsoft, Monsanto, and World Wide Technologies. Other students have worked for smaller companies or even started their own companies.
Our campus is within walking distance of the Cortex Innovation Community, a vibrant 200-acre (and growing) innovation hub and technology district. Cortex is home to SLU's Research Innovation Group which works on technology transfer and commercial partnerships. Cortex is also home to the weekly Venture Cafe (every Thursday from 3-8pm), which is a great place for students to connect with members of the tech community in a friendly and informal setting. Also in downtown St. Louis is the T-REX Technology Entrepreneur Center, a coworking space and technology incubator.
Companies Hiring SLU CS Students
SLU's computer science students have an excellent track record in obtaining paid internships in industry while completing their studies and in full-time employment after graduation. Those opportunities are not just at traditional technology/software companies but also at companies throughout various sectors of industry where computer science skills are reshaping the way business is done.
The reach of our alumni network is strong. Past SLU CS students report being interns and/or full-time employees at the following organizations.
- Asynchrony Labs (part of World Wide Technology)
- Atlas Oil Company
- Avatara Cloud Computing Services
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Bullhorn Inc
- Byrne Software Technologies
- CACI International Inc
- Care Otter
- Centene Corporation
- CenturyLink (and previously Savvis)
- Certified NETS
- Citigroup Inc
- Cofactor Genomics
- Control Microsystems (now Schneider Electric)
- Deloitte Consulting
- Digital Concepts
- Distribution Management Inc
- Dotomi (now Conversant)
- Edward Jones
- Emerson Electric
- Enterprise Holdings
- Express Scripts
- FactSet Research Systems
- Federal Reserve Bank
- Happy Medium
- Hyland Software
- Integrity Web Consulting
- Intel Corporation
- J.P. Morgan Chase & Co
- Lenel Systems (part of United Technologies)
- Lickenbrock Technologies
- Mercy Health
- Monsanto (now part of Bayer)
- Mouser Electronics
- National Information Solutions Cooperative (NISC)
- National Security Agency (NSA)
- Perficient Inc
- Pixel Press
- Realtime Results
- Reinsurance Group of America (RGA)
- Riot Games
- Slalom Consulting
- Scott Air Force Base
- SLU's Walter J. Ong Center for Digital Humanities
- SLU's Information Technology Services
- Software Design Partners
- Sterneck Capital Management
- TD Ameritrade (and previously Scotttrade)
- Texas Instruments
- TIBCO Software
- Ungerboeck Software
- UTC Aerospace Systems
- Wells Fargo Advisors
- World Wide Technologies